Melted battery post
Reply    
    
Previous Page    Page
select
of 1    Next Page
Posted on Friday Jul 8, 2011 at 10:34 AM  
Hey Beans, I have a 20ft 1995 VIP Valiant with a Mercruiser 5.7 V8. I charged the battery overnight monday and tuesday morning I loaded it up and tried to start it in the driveway before I left just to be sure. When I turned the key the starter clicked as if the battery were dead, then the battery post got real hot and melted. I unhooked everything real quick to avoid a fire. Battery was connected correctly. What are your thoughts on this? If you work on inboards I need to get mine into you, needs going over and tuned up anyhow. I also have noticed a small leak in the outdrive.
Posted on Friday Jul 8, 2011 at 1:00 PM  
cdub
i had the same thing happen to my trolling motor. all connections seemed good and could not find shorts(in wire not mine). the battery was from wally world and was third one to go out in 2 years! it melted the wing nut connection side of terminal clear off and hole in battery top. took battery back and exchanged been fine since? guy at wm said they have had a lot of problems with their deep cycle batts.
good fishing and God bless!
Posted on Friday Jul 8, 2011 at 1:33 PM  
Thanks highwater, the battery I had was a continental marine battery. Only a year old. At that point I was scared to try my other battery for fear of a short starting a fire and burning my motor.
Posted on Saturday Jul 9, 2011 at 9:56 AM  
Which post positive or negative. Ya we work on inboards.
Posted on Monday Jul 11, 2011 at 7:42 AM  
Beans, it was the positive post.
Posted on Monday Jul 11, 2011 at 10:26 AM  
I would be not say it was internal without looking it over real good for a dead short. Some times you can have corrosion and the stater will pull alot of amps through a small portion of the post which is very doubtful. If you have welding leads those will also cause the same problem in the perfect situation. You have to eliminate a dead short before you can say it was an internal short on the battery.
Posted on Monday Jul 11, 2011 at 10:51 AM  
As far as I can tell there isn't any exposed wiring toughing or anything. What would you recomend I do to check it out? Or should I pretty much bring it in?
Posted on Monday Jul 11, 2011 at 1:40 PM  
You have a meter
Posted on Monday Jul 11, 2011 at 3:47 PM  
I do not. But I'm sure I could come up with one.
Posted on Tuesday Jul 12, 2011 at 5:57 PM  
The easiest but not the most reliable is just a continuity check on the power and ground. If you have a good enough meter check resistance. My meter will just so a short ground
Posted on Tuesday Jul 12, 2011 at 6:24 PM  
The easiest but not the most reliable is just a continuity check on the power and ground. If you have a good enough meter check resistance. My meter will just so a short ground
Posted on Wednesday Jul 13, 2011 at 6:45 AM  
The easiest but not the most reliable is just a continuity check on the power and ground. If you have a good enough meter check resistance. My meter will just so a short ground
Reply    
    
Previous Page    Page
select
of 1    Next Page